Tuesday 5 January 2010

Man-eating Sculpture!


An very belated update on the Blackpool Four Wards Lighting project! Before Christmas I was working with several lovely community groups from the Talbot area of Blackpool. Each group member worked on a hexagonal patch, threading and embellishing it with bright plastic bits and bobs, with a view to creating a big 3D patchwork sculpture. I was amazed at how people personalized their own little patch with thoughtful stitches and carefully selected objects.

My task now is compile all this hard work into a complete sculpture which will be exhibited in an empty shop window, illuminated with the help of the Blackpool Illuminations team.
Today I thought I'd experiment with the idea of sculpture as body adornment, by becoming literally consumed by it! I think I look a bit like a very psychedelic tortoise.

No comments: